Saturday 19 July 2014

Ball Dress Cake



Hi there, me again! 

So I should of posted this a while a go, but just couldn't find the time what with College, family and seeing the other half. But here I am :) 



I designed this cake by hand, and drew it all out first so I could get an understanding of it. I went with my imagination in this one, and didn't copy anything. It was my first attempt at a dress cake and I think I did quite okay, granted there are bits and pieces that needed more TLC than others and I just need to practise that more. But hey! I got paid for it, so I'm not complaining, haha. 

The cake was designed for a family member, my aunt. Who had recently taken up ball room dancing, I thought it would be a nice surprise for her to have something she liked instead of going to the store and buying one that may not have tickled her fancy, or she may have possibly had that cake the year before. But never the less, she loved it! And I am so happy she did, it nearly all fell apart at one point, but it didn't! 

This cake is a Victoria sponge, with light spreadable strawberry jam and some whisked double cream instead of the plain old butter cream. It worked out wonderful, the cream went nicely and it tasted lovely, or so what I have heard. It took a grand total of 2 hours to bake, I think and about 6 - 7 hours to decorate.

I also did the design by tracing it out on paper first, then placing it on the cake and sticking cocktail stick in it so it wouldn't move. Then cut round it with a bread knife. So not that bad for timing I don't think. 

I really enjoyed doing this cake and hope to make it again soon, and loved doing the frills on the bottom, granted I also need more work on them, but hey! There's a first for everything. I loved doing the decoration and the ribbon also, was a nice way to end it I think. I may not look the best but I am so proud of it :) 

Hope you enjoyed looking at it too! - If you ever wish to have a cake like this or something similar, let me know!

Cheers, 
Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment